What to expect from your first facial
So you’re getting ready to have your first facial and you don’t know exactly what to expect. There are many reasons people get facials. They could have acne and are looking to help it clear up. They may have gotten a gift certificate for a birthday or Christmas and finally decided to cash it in. They could need to relax and can’t imagine a better way to do so. Either way, if you’ve never had a facial before, here’s a guide to help you out on what to expect the first time you get a facial. (information related to basic facial).
- Consultation-In order for your esthetician to determine what's best for your skin, she'll more than likely ask about your concerns (think acne), along with things like diet and lifestyle, this will help give them a larger picture of how to treat your skin
- Game plan-After the initial consultation, your aesthetician will determine the proper course of action for you and your skin type
- Cleanser- The esthetician will pick the product best suited to your skin type and cleanse.
- Exfoliate-Your esthetician may skip this step depending on the sensitivity level of your skin.
- Extraction- Now is the time to remove blackheads and potentially whiteheads, Because the previous steps were preparation for this one, the extractions should not be very painful.
- Facial Mask-The mask will be specially formulated to match your skin type and help treat any skin conditions that were discussed during the consultation. During most facials you will receive a massage while you wait for the mask to work its magic.
- Massage-A facial massage will be used to stimulate your facial muscles and put you in a state of deep relaxation. Depending on the type of facial, oil or lotion may be used during the massage.
- Final touches- After the mask is removed you will likely receive an application of skin specific cream or gel. You may also receive moisturizer, serums, and sunscreen.
Following the final step, your esthetician will give you advice on how to best take care of your skin in the future. Facials are recommended once a month for the best skin health results.